United Grain Growers Elevator
United Grain Growers built the first elevator at Inglis, erecting it at the southern-most end of the row in 1922. It was replaced in 1925 after a fire destroyed the original. Fire risk was a constant concern because of the dry wood in the building and the highly combustible grain.
UGG was one of the first farmer cooperatives. The provincial elevator pools were organized in response to farmers’ concern about unfair practices by large corporate-owned elevators. The company provided precise instructions for building and operating standard plan elevators, to ensure all of its customers received fair treatment.
The UGG Elevator has horizontal balloon annexes, which were constructed in 1949. Its rope drive was removed a few years before it closed. The drive wheels are still in place. Its office and the storage shed, located underneath, are original. All of its bins and ducting are constructed of wood.
We are pleased to announce this elevator and its remaining annex are scheduled to be painted this summer in August.